Disability Pension

Disability pension is paid to compensate veterans for injuries or diseases caused or aggravated by war service or certain defence service on behalf of Australia.

There are four “categories” of disability pension payable:

  • General Rate in multiples of 10% up to 100%.
  • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (for over 65 years of age only). (EDA)
  • Intermediate Rate, and
  • Special Rate (T&PI), (T&TI)

To be eligible for payment of a Disability Pension you must have qualifying eligible war, defence or peacekeeping service.

The amount of disability pension depends on the level of incapacity you suffer as a result of your war-caused or defence-caused injuries and diseases. Generally speaking the more incapacitated you are, the higher the amount of pension you will receive.

Specific Disability Adjustment is an extra amount paid to a disability pensioner where the person has an accepted disability of blindness, certain amputations of limbs, or a combination of these conditions.

Before being assessed for payment of EDA, Intermediate rate, T&PI or T&TI your disability pension of the General Rate must be 70% or more.

When making a claim for a disability pension the injury or disease that you are claiming is assessed against a Statement of Principle, (SoP), issued by the Repatriation Medical Authority, (RMA). 

The  SoP lays down the factors that must be met for your injury or disease to be accepted as war or defence-caused. For more information on the RMA go DVA fact sheet DP21 and on SoP’s DVA fact sheet DP22 at DVA Internet address www.dva.gov.au

We strongly recommend that if you are going to make a disability claim or an increase in disability claim you consult an ex-service organisation, (that you have confidence in), who have pension officers that have competed the Training Information Program, (TIP).

These pension officers will assist you in filling out the necessary forms to make a claim or for an increase and will assist you in preparing your claim to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

The Vietnam Veterans Association provides assistance to all veterans or their dependants in making a claim or increase for a disability pension, the VVAA web site is www.vvaa.org.au

If your claim or part of your claim is refused your ex-service organisation will advise you on what steps you can take to appeal the decision. In there determination the DVA will also advise you on what steps are open to you and who, and in what time frame you have, to appeal the decision.

If you believe that you have a claim and you believe you have eligible service but are unsure or feel intimidated in dealing with government departments make contact with an ex-service organisation that you have confidence in. They will help you. If you served your country in time of conflict or rendered eligible defence service and you believe that due to that service you are suffering from an injury or disease that is attributed to or aggravated by that service, then make a claim. If not for yourself, then for your wife or dependants.

Information on the General Rate of Pension can be obtained from your local DVA office or visit their web site www.dva.gov.au and go to fact sheet DP28.

The Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia can assist any veteran of any conflict by providing advice and assistance in regard to all pensions matters.  Simply contact your nearest sub-branch.

Back to homepage Back to homepage Back to homepage