Bereavement Payments and Funeral Benefits

Bereavement Payment

Bereavement Payment is a lump sum amount payable following the death of a disability or service pensioner.  The payment is made to:

  • the partner of the disability pensioner;
  • the pensioner partner of a service pensioner; or
  • the pensioner partner of an ISS recipient.

to assist the partner in adjusting to change in financial circumstances following the death of the disability  pensioner, service pensioner or ISS recipient.

The payment is non-taxable and is a separate payment from funeral benefit.  The Bereavement Payment for a disability pensioner is equivalent to12 weeks of disability pension capped at the100% rate.  The Bereavement Payment of a service pensioner or ISS recipient is equivalent to 14 week's pension.  Partners of veterans who received both Disability and Service Pension may receive both types of Bereavement Payment.

Funeral Benefits

Funeral benefits are a lump sum payment paid to the estate or the person paying for the funeral of certain deceased veterans to assist with the cost.

A funeral benefit is payable where the veteran:

  • died from an accepted disability;
  • was in receipt of special rate, extreme disability adjustment or specific disability adjustment for certain amputations or blindness;
  • was a former prisoner of war;
  • died in needy circumstances; or
  • died in hospital or travelling to or from hospital for health care approved by DVA.

We strongly recommend that if you are going to make a Bereavement Payment or Funeral Benefits claim, you should consult an ex-service organisation, (that you have confidence in), who have pension officers that have competed the Training Information Program, (TIP).

For further information on applying for the Bereavement Payment or Funeral Benefits, contact your nearest DVA office or visit their web site at and look up fact sheet BR 01 for Funeral Benefits or BR 02 for Bereavement Payments. 

The Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia can assist any veteran of any conflict, their widow/er's and children by providing advice and assistance in regard to all pensions matters.  Simply contact your nearest sub-branch.


Back to homepage Back to homepage Back to homepage