Special Rate Pension (T & PI)

Special Rate Pension is also know as the Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Pension (T & PI).

It compensates disability pensioners who are unable to work because of their accepted disabilities.  The pension is non-taxable and is not subject to a means test.

To be eligible, a veteran must be:

  • in receipt or 70% or more of the General Rate disability pension;
  • unable to work more than eight (8) hours per week because of his or her accepted disabilities, and those disabilities alone;
  • be suffering a loss of income that would not otherwise be lost; and
  • be under 65 years of age.

There are special rules for granting the pension to a veteran who is 65 years or older in recognition that this is normally considered retirement age.

To be eligible for the T & PI pension, the veteran must meet a number of tests as contained in Sections 24 and 25 of the Act.

The DVA has guidelines for assessing eligibility for T & PI.  These are not directives and are not to be used instead of the proper application of the law, but they are there to assist in applying the law.

Test one covers permanency - is the degree of incapacity permanent, and will it be likely to continue indefinitely.

Test two determines if the veteran's incapacity from accepted disabilities of itself alone renders the veteran permanently incapable of undertaking remunerative work for periods aggregating more than 8 hours per week.

Test three ascertains whether it is the veteran's accepted disabilities alone that are the reasons preventing them from continuing to undertake remunerative work and as a result they are losing salary, wages or earnings.

Test four applies to a veteran who has passed all the other tests:

  • must be found to be suffering a loss of salary, wages or earnings on his or her own account; and
  • the loss must be one that the veteran would not otherwise be suffering.

We strongly recommend that if you are going to make a disability claim or an increase in disability claim you consult an ex-service organisation, (that you have confidence in), who have pension officers that are qualified and authorised under the Advocacy Training and Development Program (ATDP).

You can find a qualified and authorised advocate via the ATDP website

For further information on applying for the Special Rate Pension, contact your nearest DVA office or visit their web site dva-factsheets choose 'Factsheets by Keyword' and click on 'T'.

The Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia can assist any veteran of any conflict by providing advice and assistance in regard to all pensions matters.  Simply contact your nearest sub-branch.


Copyright reserved by Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia
Back to homepage Back to homepage Back to homepage