Aged Care

Health and Aged care is a responsibility of the Department of Health and Aged Care.  To obtain information about Health and Aged Card, contact the Department through your nearest Centrelink centre, or visit their web site at

The Department of Health and Aged Care funds and monitors nursing homes and hostels.  The Department of Veterans' Affairs does not administer or run any nursing homes or hostels. 

A number of ex-Service organisations run nursing homes, and can be contact directly or though your nearest DVA or VAN office for details.  Some of the ex-Service organisations running nursing homes are:

  • Returned and Services League of Australia;
  • Legacy;
  • War Widows Guild; and
  • Vasey Housing.

Before anyone can be placed in a nursing home or hostel they need to have been assessed by what is called an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).  These teams are usually based at a hospital or community health centre.  Your doctor can make a referral to the team or you may make a referral yourself.  For contact details for your local ACAT, call your local community centre or a DVA VAN office near you.  It is the team that will make the assessment of the level of care that is required, and thus where placement is appropriate.

The ACAT will also be able to give information relating to hostel and nursing homes where possible and will assist in arranging placement.  There is no substitute for looking around yourself and making your own informed decisions about the care that you may want for yourself or a person you care about.

The ACAT will also give you general information relating to fees and charges in the facilities.  How much you will be asked to pay in fees and charges is determined by your care needs and your income and assets.

If you are unable to make any form of accommodation payment you will still be able to obtain a place.  The Government requires and provides additional funding for all aged care facilities to provide places for people who cannot afford to make an accommodation payment.

If you have any concerns regarding a nursing home or hostel, contact the Aged Care Complaints Resolution Line 1800 550 552 nationally.

For further information you can contact the Department of health and Aged Care Information Line on 1800 500 853 nationally, or contact your nearest DVA office or visit their web site at and look up fact sheet HSV 05:

The Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia can assist any veteran of any conflict, their widow/er's and children by providing advice and assistance in regard to all pensions matters.  Simply contact your nearest sub-branch.

Back to homepage Back to homepage Back to homepage